Friday, May 14, 2010

My Baby Is One Today

I mean my real baby, my third child and only daughter, not my band. When my oldest son was born, people kept telling me the time would fly. Lemme tell you, it took about 17 years for that kid to hit three months old.

This year, probably because I've been busy with three kids rather than just one baby, has flown. I kept trying to remind myself to enjoy every minute because she is (probably) our last baby.

A year ago, I was in an operating room having surgery. The anesthesiologist had a thing for Motown (as do I) and "My Girl" came on just as my obstetrician showed me my red, screaming, messy newborn.

She has been my easiest baby, sweet and cuddly and darling from day one. She brings out the gentle, protective side of her lightsaber-wielding brothers. A stubborn streak is starting to emerge, and when she's mad she slams her head back onto the floor, just like her brother used to do. I'm smarter now, so I don't dive to protect her head. After a few good thunks she'll figure out it isn't in her best interest to keep it up.

So far, she's celebrated by gnawing on her toes and crawling up the stairs over and over. We're decorating the kitchen for a family pizza party, and the boys will help me decorate her cake.

Watching her grow this year, and seeing all three kids getting older and wiser and more observant, I am so grateful that I have this band to help me get healthier. I want to live long enough to see their kids torment them the way they do me.

On that topic, two of the extra pounds were gone this morning, and yesterday was a good eating day. I made a real effort to eat solids rather than sliders, and to eat whenever I was truly hungry. I took the kids to a diner last night, and I had two poached eggs and a few slices of bacon. Later, when my husband was having dinner at home, I had some olives and Pellegrino. (The bubbles don't bother me at all, btw.) I'll aim to do the same thing today, focusing on solid proteins.

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your DD! I think I've asked before, but is her name in your blog title? If so, that's my DD's name! :)

    Congrats on the better eating - it'll come, it'll come! And if it doesn't, well, slow losing isn't so bad either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your baby girl. Time flies by I know...

    Good job on the eating yesterday and have fun tonight

    ReplyDelete
  3. well happy birthday baby girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your beautiful Baby girl! would love to see pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post!! Happy Birthday little one!! Have a fun party!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to baby and to mamma too, I feel like mamma's should be celebrated on kids' b-days as well.
    Good for you on taking charge-- I KNEW you were not drinking lard!!
    haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy First Birthday! I think all second and third babies have to be pretty easy going - we just don't have the energy to give them that we had for the first one! I used to hold my oldest until she fell asleep. I never laid her down and let her fuss or cry until she fell asleep. I'd rock her and sing to her. Not with the second one though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey my email is Nicole.Hollenbeck@Hotmail.com I am also on FB too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your beautiful little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations fellow mummy! Happy Birthday to your littlest one! I hope she grows up to be your best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Happy first Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will you be my mommy??
    Happy Birthday precious baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to her and I hope the pizza party goes great! Sounds yummy, am I invited?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. My babies are 11 and 14. I can't believe it. Happy Birthday to your little girl. Hope you have a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First birthday's are such a milestone ....enjoy her and your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kristin... Happy Birthday to your sweet little girl.. Girls are so special.. and I love babies.. I have always enjoyed your posts on your kids (the snow shots)..
    YEAH for the 2 lb drop.. Can you eat the solid proteins first thing in the morning.. I find I need to consume several fluids (coffee, protein drink first.. before I can move onto solid proteins). thank you for all of your kind posts during my vacay... it is so good to be home though..hugs to you and those babies!!!

    ReplyDelete