I have decent restriction - my band is definitely doing some work if I try to test it with flatbread or anything too dry. It's keeping me from overindulging in those things for sure.
I've heard so many people talk about the sweet spot in restriction but I'm wondering what your actual definition of the sweet spot is. Is it that you can eat a few bites at every meal and that's it? Is it that you never feel an urge to snack or pick? Is it that food is out of your mind for the most part?
Can those of you who've reached the sweet spot weigh in?
I think I've been in the sweet spot "area" (I'm always questioning it though) since January. For me it reduces meals greatly(and snacks). I'm not sure if I'll ever be one of those people that says they don't think about food or can go 6 hours without eating.
ReplyDeleteI do struggle sometimes at restriction with eating solid protein vs soft foods.
GREAT question, K! I can't wait to read the responses, because I'm really curious too.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the answers...
ReplyDeleteI haven't hit my sweet spot yet so I can't answer but I'll stay tuned to your blog to see what everyone else says!! Thanks for posting the question!
ReplyDeleteUh oh, is the sweet spot an urban legend?
ReplyDeleteEasy for me!
ReplyDeleteSweet spot = not hungry, no compulsion to overeat, no obsession with food, no need to snack. Sweet spot = NORMAL HUMAN BEING finally.
The sweet spot for me is not being hungry, not really even thinking about food until 2pm or so. I can tell you that today I had 1 latte, 5 bottles of water, 1/2 c. greek yogurt with granola at 3pm and for dinner lima beans, squash and country style steak (1.5 cup total..) and 1 cup of milk for dessert. That is a normal day for me and I am totally content. This whole not thinking about food all day every day thing is really cool. I used to plan dinner before breakfast, now I don't even think about it. So that is the "sweet spot" for me.
ReplyDeleteI think I am there (have been since last fill the first week of Jan) This would be 5 1/2 months after surgery.
ReplyDeleteFor me I can say I have very little hunger.
I have the most hunger between 11am-2pm This is when I do my best to choose food for fuel and not cave to cravings. Cravings are rare but not non-existent :)
I am satisfied with small portions (1 to 1.5 cups)of high quality food.
Repeat again at dinner...then done eating for the day.
When I do catch myself starting to snack it is not from hunger these days, for me it is stress.
Sweet spot for me = I am satisfied by the quantity I can eat and happy with the weight I am losing. Should one of these things change.... I will be calling for a fill!
I just found your blog! Merry Meet!
ReplyDeleteSweet spot for me means that I am not thinking about food, no food cravings of any kind, to eat a small portion and to feel completely satisfied from it, it also means that my scales loves the amount of food I take in and is therefore moving in the right direction. Once I eat a meal it will satisfy me until the next meal. I do not get hungry in between meals. For me sweet spot also means that I do not have to work hard to lose weight, it just comes natural. When I had my port removed and I lost my "sweet spot" it was much harder to lose weight and I had to put a much greater effort into it.
Though I had to have an unfill and lost my sweet spot (*cry*) I have to agree with what the other folks have posted--it's about NOT being hungry. My thoughts shifted from "what can I eat that will satisfy my cravings?" to "what *should* I eat so I will get enough nutrition today?" I would have my morning coffee, a protein shake around 11am, a protein snack/small meal around 2pm, dinner at 6pm and I would be completely satisfied at the end of the day. And of course, watching the weight come off sans deprivation was something I didn't think possible--but being at the sweet spot meant I was satisfied with what I could eat and the weight was still coming off.
ReplyDeleteAnd now I'm just hoping I can get back to that spot soon. I didn't experience much bandster hell the first time around, so maybe this is payback.
Great post...and answers too. I think I am almost there or very close. I am only hungry 3-4 times a day and now concentrate on my meals meeting my nutritional needs. The hunger is also not what it used to be either....I can wait if I have too
ReplyDelete