Monday, July 26, 2010

Chaos Reigns

We're in the midst of a fun and completely exhausting visit with my parents, sister-in-law, nephew and two nieces. So we've got six kids under the age of eight to feed, entertain and tire out. Total chaos.

A typical scene: We're trying to get dinner on the table, two kids fight over the Nintendo DS, the two-year-old is covering her entire body with Band-Aids she found in the pantry, the four-year-old is playing with the water cooler and the baby is crying because she wants someone to hold her.

Everyone's displaced from their usual beds, so no one is sleeping well. Last night I ran into my sister-in-law at 3 am while my 5-year-old was having a conniption about his pajamas and she was bringing her two-year-old back to bed after discovering her wandering the halls.

We keep reminding each other that we're making memories for the kids. I better be really skinny after this visit.

The chaos intensifies tomorrow with the arrival of two six-week-old Labrador Retriever puppies. Weeks ago I signed us up to do volunteer "home socialization" visits for a local guide dog organization. The pups come for three or four nights to get used to being around lots of different people in different environments. At the time I volunteered for this week we weren't expecting visitors. Should be interesting.

In band news, I'm too busy to eat much but the scale isn't really working with me.

14 comments:

  1. Chaos....I think that defines most of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so going to need a spa day soon. That's a lot of munchkins. I have a hard time with ONE 2 year old!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are insane. Except for about the dog thing. I would totally do that! SOOO much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (¯`v´¯)
    .`·.¸.·´ ♥
    ¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOL'd when you said about the puppies! Should be quite a blog coming up I am thinking! Enjoy the family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally LMAO.. you are a saint!.. I think I would be hitting the bottle by now.. but you are young.. and full of energy.. and you are right.. this will create some great memories..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be patient with the scale, Grasshopper! It will come down in time. You are doing fabu and while I'm not saying it would be wise, I'm surprised that you haven't turned to stress eating. Go band sista!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, you are busy indeed! But have some serious fun with the kids and with those puppies! I'm so jealous! Squee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes, that sounds crazy! But, it also sounds awesome, you guys are right - you are creating memories for the kids.

    I am so sorry we didn't get to see you at brunch on Sunday, hope to meet you soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Kristen! You're adding two puppies to the choas??? Why don't you just equip all the kids under age 10 with some matches and gasoline while you are at it! And maybe this would be a good time to have all the electricity disconnected from your house. Water too!

    It does sound fun though! Enjoy! And try to stay sane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy chaos but sounds like fun...sad that didnt get to see you on Sunday!! Next time for sure and scale is just being a pain..it will co-operate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I come and play with the puppies...you'd need to get all of those children out of there though. Oh relax all of you mommies out there...I'm just kidding...not really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My head spins just reading this....you are one brave girl!

    ReplyDelete