When I was 24 I lost about 75 pounds. I had been overweight to one degree or another since puberty so had no experience as a normal-looking adult.
I was absolutely shocked by how much nicer people were to me when I was thinner. I'm a friendly person and usually found that people were kind to me, but once I lost a lot of weight I noticed doors being held (by men and women) a lot more often. People were more likely to look me in the eye or start a conversation. Some of that could have been from my increased confidence, but I really believe most of it was weight-related. I think many of us who've had lap-band surgery have had similar experiences at one point or another.
The New York Times published an essay on the topic yesterday: For Obese People, Prejudice in Plain Sight.
**SIDE NOTE: I love that one of the doctors quoted in the essay is named Dr. Bacon.**
I'm not sure which is sadder, the article or the reader comments on the NYT Well blog.
Here's one of the comments: Judging obese people for being obese, if it is purely the result of a lifestyle choice, is not discrimination. These people willfully choose to live in an unhealthy, unsafe way and I don’t feel bad at all for discriminating against them. Last year I lost 45 pounds. For the first time in my life, I’m in shape. I have no sympathy for anyone who simply chooses to live in such a way. ~ Roger
ugh some people's comments!! I have started to notice that, like I am being noticed again people are looking at me. MEN are staring at me and I think is something on my sweater or coat?? but nope they are just staring at me. What a weird society we live in.
ReplyDeleteThat is a really good article. Thanks for linking it. I know first hand that these prejudices exist in health care delivery. I've been on the receiving end of it medically and professionally. I used to get pissed about it, but now that I've lost 115 lbs, I'm just going to use it to my advantage. Happiness is the best revenge. And, I'm secretly (or not so secretly) going to always be on the side of the fat girls. I was lucky to be able to afford surgical help.
ReplyDeleteWell.. I've got to say the article was dead on ..
ReplyDeleteDoeos bias or discrimination exist against fat people? yes, and ugly people? yes, and disabled people? yes, and race and religion and ethnic barriers????. .yes, yes yes..
We can not change anyone's opinion (and remember opionions are like assholes, everyone has one.. well almost everyone).. So where do we expend our energy then... In our tens, 20's, 30's we definitely let this crap get under our skin.. but I can tell you that now that I am in my 50's I could give two (you know what's) what people think. I have had a successful career (and I did that on merit in a man's world) where discrimination against women is still alive and kicking. I don't like being fat but I also hate my knees hurting every time I put weight on them (that is my problem and I am trying to deal with it).
And here is one topic for the NYT.. why don't you write about skinny bitches. who starve themselves, I am sick of magazine covers that highlight this crap as well. I feel like screaming at them " GO EAT A HAMBURGER SKINNY BITCH".. there. thanks Kristin.. I feel better!!
Ever noticed that fat people or formerly fat people are harsher judges of other other overweight people? Just sayin.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great article. Thanks for posting it. I avoid going to the doctor although I've never had a bad experience there. I even had a doctor tell me NOT to lose weight once (it was in my last term of college and she recognized that it probably wasn't the right time).
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you, I know that I was a victim of "fat discrimination" at a job last year...sayonara. It was so difficult, and unfortunate.
ReplyDelete