I saw my regular doc today about getting liquid antibiotics. (Got 'em! Thanks for the suggestion. Now I don't have to be terrified every time I take them.)
My doctor asked how things are going with my band, and then mentioned that he doesn't love bands because several of his patients had severe reflux problems with them. I know a few people in our community have experienced this as well, and this worries me.
Is reflux inevitable when you have a band? Is there a way to avoid it? Once you have it, do you have to loosen the band so much that you start to regain? How is it best managed once it shows up?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I haven't had any reflux issues however I had a hiatal hernia repair when I had my surgery. I think it can be an issue if you are too tight but I have only had a couple of incidences of heartburn since being banded, and that was mostly my fault because of what I ate. I wouldn't worry about it, I haven't heard alot of people complaining of that issue.
ReplyDeleteMy dr. told me it usually only happens when your band is too tight.
ReplyDeleteI also had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of banding and I haven't had any heartburn since my surgery - of course it has only been a couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteInteresting! I've DEFINITELY had more reflux issues since being banded - NEVER had them before. Usually it is a sign that I'm too tight - since the last adjustment, I'm fine... so it is a good warning sign for me! I'll be interested to hear what others say... but I agree with Gilly's dr!
ReplyDeleteI've had a few episodes of reflux, but it's been weird. I had some in the very beginning, but it wasn't classic heartburn - it was my throat always hurting. They put me on nexium and that helped, I stayed on it for awhile but then went off once I felt better. I'm pretty tight now and occasionally have some but not to the point that I need the nexium again. It's been very manageable and much better than pre-band.
ReplyDeleteI did some research into this as well as I'd never had it before banding (I'll recap). Reflux is the most common side effect of banding. It can show up as the classic burning or as just a 'lump in your throat' (globus sensation), or both. Red flags that you are too tight and need a slight unfill are 1. Increased tightness 2. Any reflux issues at night in bed (coughing, burning, PBing, sliming, etc.) Mine started in the hospital so they gave me Nexium there. I then started having the burning after my last fill...I went back on the Nexium again for about 9 weeks (there's a high healing rate if you get to it early). I'd been off the Nexium for awhile and now the burning is back, but not as bad. I just started the Nexium again the other day. I've had neither of the two red flags though...we'll see what happens next. I learned that quick action is best and this can result in serious consequences...saw one person lose their band and reflux over time can even cause esophagial cancer. Not everyone gets reflux, in fact many who had it before banding have it resoved after banding. Like I said though it is THE most common side effect so everyone should be prepared.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I have acid reflux really really bad now with out the band. I wonder if that will make a difference?
ReplyDeleteI had bad reflux-on Zantac every night (Nexium too). They did a hiatus hernia repair when they installed the band and praise be to god-NO MORE REFLUX. I now sleep through the night and no more pain. I too was told that it can happen if the band is too tight. Your doc will probably repair the hiatus hernia if he sees it during surgery. I was told that 80% of those going for banding have a hiatus hernia.
ReplyDeleteNo reflux for me post band...thank goodness
ReplyDelete