For me the two biggest things that I've focused on are: 1.) Exercise. I think you are still a little to soon from your surgery date to start doing much (obviously, discuss with your DR. first), but exercise has been a big factor in success. 2.) I do what is called "honoring my hunger". I only eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat because it's noon and it's lunchtime and that's when everyone else is eating, if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. If I am hungry, I eat and I always make sure I'm eating protein first.
Hi Kristin! I know that you asked me to do a post on this and I actually did one in November, so I'll add this link and hopefully it will take you there. http://jennyr1222.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-am-thankful-for.html
I find that taking my time to eat (20-30 min) and chewing, putting my fork down between bites, just being really present while I'm eating helps tremendously in my success. I also try to drink a huge amount of water. I try for two liters a day, sometimes more sometimes less.
Firstly, don't take anything too seriously and don't deprive yourself. If you want something sweet, have it. In moderation.
Along the same lines of 'honoring hunger' what has really helped me lately (I have no restriction) is really evaluating my hunger. Someone said to me the other day, "you know, it's okay to feel hungry. You don't need to make hunger go away immediately." And that really gave me a different perspective. Now when I'm kind of hungry, I just think 'so what'.. it's okay to be hungry! But never let yourself get too hungry.
As far as band specific - I had a ton of trouble with my band so I fear any advice I give out will not pertain. I did things all wrong. I drank pop, didn't exercise, etc.. but I puked almost all my food up. Not good. So I guess my best advice is.. keep in touch with your doctor. Regular appointments. And do not be afraid of being less restricted! This does take a little will power and it's really damaging to be too restricted.
I don't know if you saw my post earlier this month but I put something together: http://metamorphicjourney.blogspot.com/2010/01/for-linda-o-and-anyone-else.html
I haven't been doing this very long, but this post was specifically for after surgery. Things that I have found to be helpful for myself.
I'm not there yet, but I'm glad to have found someone that's just "starting out" .. I'm hoping for a April 2010 band! Can't wait to read older posts!! Take care!!
Hey Kristen.. I think the biggest factors for me have been the excercise and following the rules..most importantly the not drinking with meals or after meals for 1 hr. Another big one is that I got rid of liquid calories ! No Juice of any kind!!! I only drink water and milk !!! Avoiding snacking by only eating when you're hungry ( like most others said) is also a big part..for me out of sight, out of mind so I dont keep any bad snack food around !! Stick to just yogurts, string cheese and hummus if need be to snack !
For me Kristen - I am a 80% rule follower... I don't ever drink with my meals - I wait the 30 mins after before having fluid.. I try not to eat unless genuinely hungry (sometimes this works, sometimes not.. ) but the biggest thing? Don't deprive yourself. The best thing about the band is that you can have a 'little' of what you want. You can never pig out the way you once did.. so a taste or more is wonderful - keeps you satisfied without feeling you have to cut everything out all the time.
I mostly follow the bandster rules. 80-90% of the time and I am sure that helps... I would suppose you could say my journey thus far has been successful. But for me I can say 100% without a doubt if I had not addressed the issues with what got me to be an unhealthy, unhappy person who used food as a drug my band would fail. I wrote a little about it back in Sept. http://www.jenisgonnaloseit.com/2009/09/be-change.html I really believe that the root has to be identified for even WLS to be successful.
For me the two biggest things that I've focused on are: 1.) Exercise. I think you are still a little to soon from your surgery date to start doing much (obviously, discuss with your DR. first), but exercise has been a big factor in success.
ReplyDelete2.) I do what is called "honoring my hunger". I only eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat because it's noon and it's lunchtime and that's when everyone else is eating, if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. If I am hungry, I eat and I always make sure I'm eating protein first.
Hi Kristin! I know that you asked me to do a post on this and I actually did one in November, so I'll add this link and hopefully it will take you there. http://jennyr1222.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-am-thankful-for.html
ReplyDeleteI find that taking my time to eat (20-30 min) and chewing, putting my fork down between bites, just being really present while I'm eating helps tremendously in my success. I also try to drink a huge amount of water. I try for two liters a day, sometimes more sometimes less.
Wow, there are so many things!
ReplyDeleteFirstly, don't take anything too seriously and don't deprive yourself. If you want something sweet, have it. In moderation.
Along the same lines of 'honoring hunger' what has really helped me lately (I have no restriction) is really evaluating my hunger. Someone said to me the other day, "you know, it's okay to feel hungry. You don't need to make hunger go away immediately." And that really gave me a different perspective. Now when I'm kind of hungry, I just think 'so what'.. it's okay to be hungry! But never let yourself get too hungry.
As far as band specific - I had a ton of trouble with my band so I fear any advice I give out will not pertain. I did things all wrong. I drank pop, didn't exercise, etc.. but I puked almost all my food up. Not good. So I guess my best advice is.. keep in touch with your doctor. Regular appointments. And do not be afraid of being less restricted! This does take a little will power and it's really damaging to be too restricted.
I don't know if you saw my post earlier this month but I put something together: http://metamorphicjourney.blogspot.com/2010/01/for-linda-o-and-anyone-else.html
ReplyDeleteI haven't been doing this very long, but this post was specifically for after surgery. Things that I have found to be helpful for myself.
I'm not there yet, but I'm glad to have found someone that's just "starting out" .. I'm hoping for a April 2010 band! Can't wait to read older posts!! Take care!!
ReplyDeleteHey Kristen.. I think the biggest factors for me have been the excercise and following the rules..most importantly the not drinking with meals or after meals for 1 hr. Another big one is that I got rid of liquid calories ! No Juice of any kind!!! I only drink water and milk !!!
ReplyDeleteAvoiding snacking by only eating when you're hungry ( like most others said) is also a big part..for me out of sight, out of mind so I dont keep any bad snack food around !! Stick to just yogurts, string cheese and hummus if need be to snack !
For me Kristen - I am a 80% rule follower... I don't ever drink with my meals - I wait the 30 mins after before having fluid.. I try not to eat unless genuinely hungry (sometimes this works, sometimes not.. ) but the biggest thing? Don't deprive yourself. The best thing about the band is that you can have a 'little' of what you want. You can never pig out the way you once did.. so a taste or more is wonderful - keeps you satisfied without feeling you have to cut everything out all the time.
ReplyDeleteI mostly follow the bandster rules. 80-90% of the time and I am sure that helps... I would suppose you could say my journey thus far has been successful.
ReplyDeleteBut for me I can say 100% without a doubt if I had not addressed the issues with what got me to be an unhealthy, unhappy person who used food as a drug my band would fail.
I wrote a little about it back in Sept. http://www.jenisgonnaloseit.com/2009/09/be-change.html
I really believe that the root has to be identified for even WLS to be successful.