Friday, January 22, 2010

Crossroads


I hit a crossroads last night. There was a Mom's Night Out at a local restaurant, open bar and passed appetizers for two hours. Before I left I was so busy getting everyone organized that I didn't have a chance to have dinner. I planned to have a few apps and a glass of wine.

I had a sea scallop, three risotto balls and three pieces of shrimp tempura, plus a glass of pinot noir. (Skipped the sliders, pot stickers and spring rolls.)

It was a lot, but I had planned for a high-calorie day. I'm not sure exactly how many calories I consumed with those appetizers; it's hard to tell with food like that. I vigilantly weighed, measured and journaled everything I ate up until then, counted the wine, drank lots of water yesterday, etc.

The thing that kind of scared me was, I felt pretty normal. If I had tried, I might have been able to eat a slider, roll and all. But I am terrified of going down that road, because I think I will end up sabotaging my weight loss and fighting the band at every step of the way.

I need to make a big decision: Am I going forward really focusing on changing my habits and putting to rest my compulsions, or am I going to push the envelope and eat as much as my band will "allow" at any moment?

Last night I did a little of both. I stayed away from the sliders because I didn't want to know if I could get one down.

If I had eaten dinner before I left (or even sipped a protein shake on the way), I could have had a glass of wine and stayed away from the food altogether. That would have been the best choice. It's tricky - I don't want to NEVER eat at functions like that.

The scale showed me up a pound today, which is mathematically impossible since my daily calorie intake hasn't topped 1000 calories more than twice in the 2.5 weeks since my surgery. And it's often been in the 600-800 range. So intellectually I know it's water (fingers are STILL swollen) but that doesn't make it less upsetting.

This leaves me with plenty to ponder. I think I'll take my measurements; hopefully those numbers have gone in the right direction and that will cheer me up a bit and help keep my eyes on the prize.

5 comments:

  1. Actually, I think you did exactly the right thing at the event out. This band is for life, and it is important to work at having a "normal" life with the band. Some people disagree, and will say that you should have avoided the wine and appetizers and just eaten ahead of time. That is an okay strategy in the beginning, but not helpful in the long run IMHO. The thing is, you did not overeat. You did not overdrink! You avoided the sliders (good for you). You did just fine. And the weight is probably from the salty appetizers, so no worries. I would call your evening a success!

    Once you have more restriction, you probably will not want to eat much anyway, and you will not want to chance it with bread, so it will get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Gen. There have been tremendous changes that I've made in my life over the last 8 months, however, I knew going into this that I still wanted to be able to enjoy social functions and quite honestly still enjoy food. I think my weight loss could be even greater that what it is now (85 pounds down since May 2009), however, I've also still really enjoyed myself and allowed my self to enjoy food (with some exceptions of course).

    I also agree that it was most likely the salt in the appetizers that caused the gain. It's crazy what that will do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, I viewed that in between period (surgery to fill) as my self discovery mode. IT really does tune you in to what you eat and when you eat. I think you did fine. I was jumping on and off the scale daily.. don't do it, cause it can make you nuts.. You know that you will be on the losing side of the scale soon (just read everyone's blog that has been banded for a few months).. This is not gastric bypass surgery, it's surgery, that gives you a tool to help you lose weight and right now we (you and me) are learning how to use this tool..Chin UP! it is all going to work out.be well

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup,
    I'm with Gen too, (ahh, she's a wise woman!)... you have the band now, it's with you for a very very long time - and I think part of learning to eat well is to mix it up. You didn't overeat nor overdrink but had a little of some. That's the only way to go. No point in cutting yourself off at the knees and going for broke denying yourself everything. It might give you a slightly better loss overall, but it's not living. Just enjoy and take the weight loss as it comes xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree I think you did the totally right thing. this is about finding that balance and teaching yourself how to stick to that balance. It's gonna be awhile before you have any really restriction but this is your opportunity to work the band on your own and really own it !!

    You can always eat more or you could always have that extra something...but isnt that what got us in trouble to begin with ??!!

    If you keep doing and thinking the way you did..you will be super !!!

    ReplyDelete