
Good morning everyone!
My husband knows I have a blog, but so far he hasn't read it. I'd be happy for him to read it in a month or two, when I'm a little further down the scale, but for now I feel awkward having him know how much I weigh. He's been supportive and encouraging through this whole process, but I just feel like the numbers are too much information at this point.
Question of the Day: Do your spouses/significant others/family members know about your blog, and do they read it?
I have several close family members that know I blog, but they don't read it. My mom specifically said that she doesn't want to since she thinks I won't be as free on what I said. At first I didn't think it would matter since I share most things with her anyways.
ReplyDeleteNow I think I understand. The idea that I can say anything even on my worst days without worrying that I will make her concerned is nice. This ability to "vent" if needed is nice even though I don't know if I will post stuff I haven't told her.
Plus family tends to think they should help and not just listen. However, sometimes I am not ready to hear advice from those close to me. Advice from strangers is somehow different.
No one knows about my blog. I was going to show it to a close friend but decided against it ~ here's why......I chose to keep my surgery private. I told couple of close friends and my kids, that's all. One of my close friends "accidentally" mentioned it to someone else. That someone else "accidentally" blurted it out to other friends after she'd had a few too many beers one night........lesson learned. The only true secret is the secret I keep between me, myself and I and the bedpost. Let me add, no one "accidentally" let it slip or told out of any malice. Far from it, they're proud of me. My daughter told a couple of people too...because she's proud of me. They're excited and it's hard for them to understand why I wouldn't want to shout it to the world.
ReplyDeleteBut........I don't want to shout it to the world. I want to incorporate my band buddy into my life as a normal part, like breathing....I don't want to be dinner table conversation and I dont' want to be under anyone's microscope. So no..........I have not told anyone about my blog because I want to keep that little corner of my life private. You'll hear other opinions and really, it's a matter of personal preference. Were I still married, would I tell the hubs? Nahhhh. He didn't even read my weekly newspaper column, I don't think he would have been that interested in my blog. Best wishes to you, it's going to be a GREAT year!!!!!
My BF knows about my blog and knows that he gets mentioned in it but he doesn't read it. One of my best friend reads it and the other does not. I only told about 6 people about my surgery so not very many know. My future mother in law does read it however..which is why there aren't alot of sex references in my blog!!
ReplyDeleteMy husband knows about my blog and has read it. I just asked him if he's checked it recently and he said know, but he actually commented one time before surgery.
ReplyDeleteMy original intent in having him check out my blog was to 'admit' my weight to him without having to tell him. He read the blog and then he knew the big secret.
He never said a word about it to me in terms of whether he was shocked at the number or not. Women tend to be much more obsessed with the number and what it means-- for the most part, so who knows, maybe your DH won't even give a care?
I know that I felt better knowing the 'secret' was out there... and that I wasn't keeping anything from my dh, who is my best friend in the universe.
Just my 2 cents!
I meant "no" above, not "know." Sheesh, I need a nap or something!!
ReplyDeleteV
My DH knows I read the blogs but not that I am blogging. Everytime he comes near me when I am posting, I click on another tab (like Facebook) and don't let him see. Not sure when I will give him the link. He has told me in the past that he doesn't read blogs. Only my best friend has been given the link because I know she won't try to give me advice or make me feel bad. I agree with TJ and Nessa though. This lets me vent into the great unknown. I think of all the people I follow as friends though, since they seem to understand.
ReplyDeleteMy husband knows I blog, but hasn't read it. I don't worry him knowing my weight. I broke down and told him on my surgery day - I figured it's be the biggest I'd ever be.
ReplyDeleteI wrestled with this too in the beginning. To let him read or not. I do let MOTH read it now - and have done so for a few months. But like you, it was hard admitting up front just how much I did weigh. He wasn't shocked or anything - to him it was just a number and lets face it - he'd have to be blind to realise I wasn't overweight in the first place. The rest was just semantics.
ReplyDeleteI have told a few close people about my band: but no one reads my blog except my sister in law in America (she's cheering me on from the sidelines) and a friend I have in South Africa. As far as I know, that's it. I don't want to have to censure myself so I keep it quiet. :)
My husband knows I have this blog, but I ask him not to read it, so he doesn't. I only told him today how much I weigh. He didn't make a big deal of it, he just said he wants to be on this journey with me and if I wanna tell him then I can and if I don't then he understands. So I told him. It's like a huge weight off my chest. It may be a while before I ask him to read my blog though.. lol
ReplyDeleteWell, my DH knows that I both read & follow blogs. In fact, I made the mistake of giving him my blog address almost immediately!
ReplyDeleteHe has never made me feel bad about my posts. He reads it everyday & tells me I can say whatever I want to in the blog & he will not judge me. I can even vent about him & he wouldn't get mad.
And he hasn't. But then again, I censer my remarks about him a tad since I know that he will read it. But no matter what I said, he has kept true to his word & not said anything about it!
He is so excited that I get such support from everyone online that he knows he can't give me. Only someone that is going through this can truly understand.
There for a while, he was reading my blog before I was up in the morning, to see if I had any comments & would tell me if I had any & whether or not I had any new Followers!
Until he realized that it kind of took the wind out of my sail, to go into my blog & see for myself, so if he does, he keeps it to himself!
As far as telling other Family or Friends. I have told several family members & a handful of friends. My Daughter does read it though for sure!!
No Ihave not told anyone about my blog. I think that once I reach goal weight I will let everyone know so that they can read it if they want. At this point I am still too embaressed about my starting and current weight. I think it is all a personal choice
ReplyDeleteMy girlfriend knows I have a blog. and I think she reads it (I don't update often though, so ha!).
ReplyDeleteI didn't tell her how much I weighed until I was 199. Then I just had to share with someone. and since I didn't start blogging until I was under 200 pounds, I had no one to talk to about it.