Monday, March 28, 2011

The Inconvenient Truth (About the Band)

The truth is: This band of mine can be damn inconvenient sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love it and what it does for me, and I'm grateful to have it.

But my band really sent me off the rails this morning.

Over the weekend my band was inexplicably tight. It was a bummer, but it was not unmanageable. I didn't actually throw anything up, I just felt realllllly uncomfortable and slimed so I stopped trying to eat. But then my morning tea wouldn't go down smoothly and I got a little dehydrated because I was scared to have much of anything. Miraculously, last night things got a little better and I actually ate dinner.

And then this morning, for the first time in at least a decade, I woke up with a raging urinary-tract infection. I'm gonna go ahead and blame it on being dehydrated.

I have a 5.15 am pickup tomorrow for my kid's Disney trip. I went to a CVS MinuteClinic this morning, told them my tale of woe, peed into a cup and left with a large-ish bottle of liquid antibiotic. That may or may not cause diarrhea, but probably will clear up my UTI.

Then I went to my surgeon's office, where my doctor heroically ran to meet me after he left the OR. He very kindly withdrew a couple drops, taking me from 5.6 cc's to 5.45 cc's. He wanted to do a little more but I wanted just enough so I wouldn't get in trouble in humid Orlando. He was very nice and sympathetic.

I am slightly feverish and shivery and my kidneys are sore and it hurts to pee, but I'm hopeful that once I get the second dose of antibiotic in my system tonight things will turn around.

22 comments:

  1. Im so sorry you are having to deal with all of this..especially in front of your trip!!! But, i'm so glad you were able to get an unfill. I hope the meds work quickly and that you feel better and y'all have a GREAT time at Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kristin, I hope the antitbiotics kick in without side effects and you feel better for your trip! I am wondering though if the brewing UTI is what caused your tightness to begin with? In any event, better it happened while you were home and not after you already left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay that all sucks!!! But the bright side is... you went out and saught what you needed and got it taken care of with T minus 15 hours and counting before it was going to be impossible. Yay that your doctor was lovely and sympathetic!! Yay that you were able to get liquid antibiotics!! Boo to the rest, no doubt!

    As a side note - while we were in Disney over Thanksgiving one of my kids got an ear infection and the Disney staff was (as you'd expect) ready willing and able to get me to the right path (phone numbers and how to and whatnot) to get him a perscription that I believe was ultimately delivered to the lobby (though I totally may be lying about that last part). Good luck and have an absolute ball!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to get an unfill and I'm sure a second dose of the antibiotic will have you feeling better. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you poor dear, I sure hope you feel better right away and that you have a wonderful time at Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!! I am sure you will feel better in the morning after a couple of doses of meds! You poor thing. I really hope you are feeling okay for walking around Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just reading this made me cringe. I haven't had a uti in years, but ugh are they awful. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girlll... that is a pain. I hope it all clears up and you can enjoy your trip!! I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you were able to get the unfill. UTI stinks! But my experience is once you take that medicine it gets better quick. Have a great time at Disney!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lady......after being on the meds for 24 hours you should feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, sweetness...you had a bit of a sucky day. Tomorrow just has to be better. It just does! Feel better! And have an unforgettable trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That really sucks. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay love muffin. GO BACK TO CVS IN THE MORNING...they sell these pills that numb your urinary tract. Makes peeing so much easier...no pain. Honestly the best ever for a UTI. Will make your trip much easier. Feel better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Damn UTI. I am sure after a couple of doses of the antibiotic you should be feeling better. Enjoy the trip sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO glad you got the unfill! It is an inconvenient truth, isn't it? I'm a little annoyed right now because I feel like I can't eat much "good" food, but no way am I getting any out- its not that bad. Just annoying.

    Have an awesome time and I hope you feel better ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you feel better soona nd are able to enjoy your time in Orlando :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you fill better soon, remember to drink lots of unsweetened cranberry juice and get those Azo pills from the drugstore. Those things will help alot! Glad to hear you got a little unfill, I think you will feel much better on your trip. Have fun and drink lots of water and juice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So not fair! I hope you feel better soon. I've only had one bladder infection in my life...it was my first day of vacation. It was also from dehydration 3 months after being banded. Fun Times.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no baby! I hope you are feeling better today and you and your son enjoy your trip! Update when you can... <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dang! I hope that the antibiotics kicks in before your trip. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my little munchkin...I'm hoping the drugs kick in soon.
    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Lord.. I am in catch up mode.. so sorry to read everything you are going through.. hopefully things have settled by the time you read this.. think about you and hoping you are all repaired and enjoying your trip with the kids.

    ReplyDelete