Friday, February 4, 2011

Hey Endorphins! Where You Been?


I had another 6 am workout this morning. It was 12 degrees when I pulled out of the garage onto the sheet of ice that is our driveway.

Once again, I got to the gym and did what the trainer told me, chatting all the while. And then before I knew it, it was 7 am, I was sweaty and my legs were already sore. Bonus: I'd already finished a bottle and a half of water.

It's a strange feeling of relief to realize my workout is done at 7 am. There's no more, "I know I should go but I'm so tired/hungry/busy," all day long, taking up valuable space in my brain. It's done. No more thinking about it.

This is a real revelation to me, because even back in the day when I ran four or five days a week (those mid-twenties were fun years), it was always after work. I only did long runs on weekend mornings, and back then 8 am was early to me.

On the way home from the gym, I cranked the radio - you wouldn't believe how good the sound system in a minivan can be these days - and enjoyed the endorphins. It's been too long.

9 comments:

  1. I should be getting up early to work out, but I don't I hold off till the end of the day. Sleep feels so good. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never motivate myself to get up early and work out. Just kept hitting snooze. So envious you have the drive to do it. Love the cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey doll...I feel we're kindred spirits in this area...not the 6AM workouts but rather our both embarking on the whole fitness thing relatively long after getting our bands...and at the same time. It's Saturday AM and I just got back from spinning. It's 10AM and I've already sweated, showered and am dressed for my Saturday...how cool.
    I too am sooo psyched about NYC. I think I'll email Jen and get a suggestion for a hotel that won't cost $500 for the night.
    As far as Latisse...speak to your eye doctor...mine didn't endorse it so I bagged that idea. Too scary a proposition for an aesthetic...at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the early morning workouts because I just feel better the whole day and have much more energy. Plus, I don't have to worry about for the rest of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome!!! I'm working up to being consistent on the workouts and then I'm going to start trying to go in the morning before work at least once...it is so nice to get it done and have no excuse later in the day! Am def in for brunch on the 20th!! looking forward to it and meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man! I wish I could workout hard in the morning. I just find that I push harder in the evening before dinner than in the morning. Great job!

    ReplyDelete