Monday, October 18, 2010

Heartbreak, Happiness and Joy

Last Sunday afternoon, as I was packing up the puppies to go back, the phone rang. It was my friend E's mom, telling me that E's teenage daughter had killed herself that morning. Her 12-year-old son found his sister hanging in the garage.

That kicked off a whirlwind four days of shock and sorrow and sympathy and trying to figure out how to explain it to my oldest (who is good buds and classmates with E's youngest).

On Monday, I went to E's house to hug her and cry with her, and took her two youngest to my house for dinner and a playdate. My two boys and her two and another friend made pizzas and ran around with lightsabers, a little slice of normalcy in a horrible situation.

Wednesday evening, I waited in the aisle of a tiny New England church as red-eyed high schoolers and their parents walked past the girl's open casket and fell into her parents' arms, sobbing. E and her husband stood next to their child's body for four hours, comforting an unending stream of her friends, family members and classmates.

Thursday was the funeral, and it was emotionally draining, after an already emotionally demanding few days.

Friday morning I frantically packed for our long-awaited trip to Sonoma for the Hubs' cousin's wedding.

My sister called at 7 am to let me know she was in labor, and I told her she had seven hours to push that baby out before my flight took off at 3.55 pm. We didn't know whether she was having a boy or a girl, and I was dying to know.

My sister never misses a deadline. God bless her, she birthed that child - a boy! with adorably huge cheeks! - with half an hour to spare.

We had a whirlwind trip, drove through wine country, visited a winery, had a couple good meals, saw lots of Hubs' family members, went to the wedding (a whole 'nother story, but the bride and groom were glowing with happiness so that's all that matters) and then drove from the wedding Sunday night to San Francisco airport, where Hubs boarded a redeye to New York and I boarded a separate redeye to Philadelphia.

This morning, my mom picked me up at the airport, I took a nap at her house and then *finally* got to see my new, adorable nephew. I'm so proud of my sister! She had a tough labor, and aside from the hemorrhoids from hell she is rocking the postpartum gig. I spent a few hours with her, then got on a northbound train and took a taxi home from the station.

In one week, we've experienced a totally unnecessary, horrifying, tragic death, the happiness of a couple starting their life together as husband and wife, and the sheer joy of the arrival of a healthy newborn addition to our family.

I am exhausted, and emotionally drained, and so grateful that my children are upstairs asleep in their beds. And heartbroken that my friend's family will never be whole again.

15 comments:

  1. I'm so so sorry for your friend's loss. I'm heartbroken and have no idea who they are. What an awful wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way as you, K, about my kids. Stuff like this only makes you hold them that much closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness hugs to you lady! Wowzers what an emotional rollercoasta! I hope you take some time to just BE in the next few days.. sending light and love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredibly emotional week! My prayers go out to your friend and her family. And congratulations to your sister and you husband's cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God Kristin - how terrible. I'm so sorry for your pain and that family's pain....I'll keep them in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry-- it is so surreal, it seems like a book or movie in certain ways, what an odd and poignant juxtaposition of a birth and a death.
    My reaction is that your friend's family will never be the same, but are we ever the same after anything tragic or truly important and life-changing in our lives. I guess not...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, I am so sorry. No family should experience such a tragic loss. You are a great friend, it will be so important for you to be there for the family. Keep having those play dates. I am sure that helps more than you know.

    Congrats on your sister's baby boy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gosh, what a week you had. I am so sorry for the tragic loss. I can't imagine the grief that family is going through. One thing I can imagine is how comforting it was having you near her and taking the kids for some play time.
    Congratulations on the baby! Ahhh...babies. What in life is sweeter? And a wedding. I love weddings. You really were on an emotional roller coaster. Glad you had some husband time and time with your own mom. I hope you came home at least a little rested and recharged.
    Take Care You!
    ((((Hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your loss. I can't imagine...My thoughts are with your friends family.
    I'm glad you had some happy news to help the week out and some family time of your own.
    xoxoLinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brings tears to my eyes because it seems like that's just too much for one week. So happy for the newly wedded bliss, so thrilled with the arrival of a healthy new baby and so sad about the tragic loss.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss. It is completley shocking and unimagineable. It will be 6 mos on Thursday since my little cousin did the same thing and I think the family is still in shock. My prayers are with E and her family!! Congrats on becoming an aunt and I know the joy of the baby will balance out some of the heartbreak of the tragedy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a tragedy for a family to ave to endure. They are lucky to be able to call you friend. Congrats to your sister and to the happy couple.
    To everything turn, turn, turn...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truth is stranger than fiction. And life is truly amazing. Suicide is a topic near to home for me, so my heart really goes out to you and to your sweet friends. Love up your kids because that's all that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! That is so horrible about the suicide. My husband's brother killed himself two years ago and my nephew's mom (my BIL ex-wife) killed herself a few years ago. It just breaks my heart. I know they think they are doing everyone a favor, but it really messes up those left behind. And of course all the problems the person was struggling with are usually issues that are so temporary. All teens are unhappy at times. It goes away. UGH! I hate it so much! You and your friends have my deepest sympathy.

    Yeah on the marriage and new baby! That is wonderful news! I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristin.. so sorry to read about the tragic loss.. and how incredible the series of life events highs and lows to absorb in such a short period.. God Love you.. and there you are the rock for people to lean on and to comfort them..You are a good person Kristin..Hug your babies tonight...

    ReplyDelete