Monday, September 20, 2010

Cat Bites, New Tires and the ER. All in One Day.

I was all set to do some shopping to find a dress for Saturday that will also work for a wedding in October. Never made it further than the local Toyota dealership, which sucked up two and a half hours to diagnose my tire pressure problem and prescribe two new tires. Could have had a reallllly nice dress for five hundred ninety seven dollars.

This evening, as we were saying goodbye to a friend of older son's who was here playing, Cooper the neighborhood cat wandered into the front yard and the kids went over to say hello. He's a friendly guy, belongs to the family down the street, and often comes to hang in our yard for a couple days at a time. He also sometimes walks with us to and from the bus stop, rubbing against our legs while we walk.

For some reason, when younger son petted him today, Cooper nipped him and left two puncture wounds in younger son's hand.

Have you ever googled "cat bites" before? Don't, because you will immediately drop dead from panic. Cat bites have a high infection rate, and there is always the rabies concern. Which is exacerbated because a rabid coyote recently attacked a father and his daughter a couple weeks ago around here. So everyone's on high alert, and Cooper is a wandering kind of cat who goes home every few days or so but otherwise is out and about.

I washed the bite, called Cooper's mom, who was really nice and promised to check with the vet and make sure Cooper's rabies vaccination is up to date, waited for the Hubs to come home, took younger son to ER on pediatrician's recommendation, and waited two hours there. He's on a prophylactic antibiotic for a week.

And I still don't have a dress.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you had such a rough day! Hopefully tomorrow will be better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and most important, hope your son is feeling better.. but ..Kristin can you fit anymore "excitement" into your life?? Clean the slate and make Tuesday a day for you!! (no tires, cats or otherwise).. and you will find your dress..I wasn't even counting on wearing a dress until I saw all of these dress photos popping up (hence my very early on anxiety).. Hang in there .. you will find the perfect dress (or you can do what I did and just scour the internet.. I have that dress coming express delivery because and didn't even try it on yet).. I have NO TIME to shop..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amey and Barbara - my son was nonplussed through the whole thing (except when he realized they were going to take off his Transformers band-aid to look at the bite). He's feeling fine this morning, and I'm planning to sneak away for a midday shopping trip. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our lives are so similar. No cat bite here, but new brakes yesterday. $300 later - I guess I'll be dying my own hair for that wedding we're going to in two weeks. Sigh.

    Hang in there - today has to be better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about that - I hope it heals quickly. I'ms sure it will.
    That would have been a banging dress. Dang!
    You'll be gorgeous and if you don't have anything by Saturday we can go and play dress up in Nordstrom's. Deb said there is one close and I've never been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cat bites... they can be bad. I have a devil cat who has a sewer mouth. I love him to pieces, but on more than one occassion I have had to have IV antibiotics due to his "nibbles". Better safe than sorry! He should be fine with the antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete