The crazy heat has subsided a little, but it's still ridiculously humid. I hate humidity. It makes me cranky.
Moving on... I want to thank whoever it was who advised me to put the chicken salad in the food processor. Maybe Cindylew? I don't remember, but I did and my lunch is so much more pleasant now. And I used Nicole's recipe (substituting chives for green onions because that's what's in my herb pot) so it's all kinds of power protein. Thanks to both of you!
The scale was down a little bit again today, so things are moving and I am delighted. I really have scaled back my eating, I keep trying to figure out what the difference is and I'm not sure. I still can't comfortably eat much before noon or 1 pm. But I'm going to keep trying to drink - water, Dunkin Donuts iced tea or Starbucks green tea - and maybe even go to the gym again. I still haven't been back since I threw up all over the parking lot and then again in the car. Kind of mortified. But I'd like to go back to Zumba (different place). That was really fun.
I keep reading about some of you eating steak and sandwiches. I haven't tried a single bite of steak since I was banded, although I've been tempted to have a bite of filet mignon. But I don't usually cook filet and I have zero interest in bringing on a PB in a restaurant. So you see the problem.
Of more concern is that I'm not eating a lot of vegetables. I've had a lot of tomato and mozzarella salads for lunch lately, so that helps. I eat avocado, some grapes and berries. And artichokes. Have I mentioned that?
What fruits and vegetables do you like that go down easily for you?
Also, I want to clarify my comment yesterday about capris: I have no plans to wear shorts. I'm just looking for lightweight summer pants. I have a couple pairs that work, but it's harder to find than you'd think.
You like artichokes?? Hmmmm, I'd never have guessed!! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the not a lot of veggies.. I just dont' think about them! I do like green beans - no problem going down. Bananas, strawberries, grapes all work for me as well.
I'm obsessed with caprese salads lately too!!! Can't get enough!!
I've had some steak but not much. I figured that it's not worth the PBing as well!!!
Thanks as always for your encouraging comments on my blog!!! You rock!!!
I don't eat enough fruits or veggies. It seems to be a common problem. I almost always have a green salad with dinner and often have a second veggie too (usually cooked) like green beans, potato of some sort, brocoli, artichoke. If I have greek yogurt for breakfast, I usually put some fresh or dried fruit in it. I probably have 2-3 servings of fruit & veggies per day. What is the RDA? Like 9? Good job with the weight loss!
ReplyDeleteI love veggies, the band friendly ones that I love are english peas, fresh spinach (I just wilt it in a little olive oil with garlic,s&p)
ReplyDeleteand I love squash and eggplant, I sautee with onion, garlic & olive oil, then add 1/4 c of Italian bread crumbs top with parmesan cheese and bake til it bubbles delicious! As far as steak goes, filet is the only thing I can really tolerate and it has to be pretty rare, ooo, but I love it. If I'm planning on having steak at home, I'll have a very rare filet just seared on the grill then, I slice a couple of pieces of and put in a hot skillet just enough to warm it and it's perfect. You're doing great...I can't wait to be where you are!
You are doing incredible Kristin..
ReplyDeleteI seem to do fine with veggies.. in fact one of my afternoon snacks is a sliced up red pepper.. its filling and fiber and I like it. Love asparagus, green beans, and not a vegetable but I do like baked beans..good protein and fiber there.
I have had filet mignon.. cut it into dimes size pieces and have had no problem (I do only eat at dinner) when I have already eaten other things.
On the fruit side of things.. strawberries, bannana, nectarines.. all go fine..
Keep up the great job..
Kristin: I hear you on the fruits and veggies. I actually have eaten some steak and roast beef recently-- I just chew, chew, chew-- and it takes a long time, so I wind up eating very little. A good thing!
ReplyDeleteAs for veggies, I tolerate brocoli rabe really well, and anything COOKED-- not so good on the uncooked fruits, so I have had some baked apples and I like raisins and dates too.
Another discovery of late: RAW spinach. Makes for an awesome salad (you can put some crumbled gorgonzola cheese, cut up some dates, or throw in cranberries (dried) and use some olive oil and balsamic. YUMMY and gourmet-feeling salad that goes down very well!)
Enjoy and you are doing fabulous-- keep up the great work sista!!
Does the food processor help? I will have to try that! I have been eating grilled yellow squash, spagetti squash and since I can't eat crackers anymore I have been peeling cucumber slicing them thin and have them with Hummus YUMMY! Some days I can do salad..somedays I can't!
ReplyDeleteDude...it was me...so glad it worked for you. I put my hard boiled eggs in there as well...whites and all...for my egg salad. I love that consistency so much more than the chunks.
ReplyDeleteGreat suggestions everyone! I can eat steak... small pieces and chew chew chew... I don't eat it often and dinner time is better for me since my band is tighter earlier in the day. I don't eat alot of fruit but sometimes a little strawberries, grapes, nectarines, pineapple, watermelon even apple slices... I never had any problems with them going down yet but i hardly ever eat them because of the high sugar/carb content. I love broccoli and green beans. I also eat cabbage sometimes, green peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce of all types. It just takes times to reteach myself to eat slowly and overchew my food. *Maria*-blogger from "This one time at Band Camp..." check out my blog at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteregarding the shorts & capris...i'm taller but have short legs so i usually go with pedal pushers or bermuda shorts and they end up being capri length on me so they look OK :-)
ReplyDeleteI've had steak since being banded but it was when my fills weren't doing much for me. I hesitate to touch it now and to be honest- I ain't missin it that much at all! lol.
ReplyDeleteI love tomatoes with feta cheese. I also like strawberries, and bananas with my yogurt and granola.