
I hit fifty pounds down today, five months and one day after surgery. I'm happy and excited, but also mindful that there is still a long way to go. Fifty pounds less than before, though.
Note: I lost 13 of those pounds before surgery, so I haven't lost 50 in five months. I think it's important to let people know that, particularly if you're considering surgery or just got your band.
I think I may have lost that last pound from sheer stress. I made salmon and scallops provencal last night for my in-laws, which went well despite losing power at 3.45 pm and then having it go on and off intermittently for the next couple of hours. I did what I could on the gas cooktop with the side dishes and we ended up grilling the salmon since the oven was a no-go.
After about 5.30 pm, the power was just off, no flashes back on. So it got hot and then my 7-year-old started throwing up. I spent the rest of the evening doing dishes by candlelight and cleaning puke out of three bathrooms (clorox is my friend), one bedroom rug and a couch by flashlight.
Power came back on sometime after 1 am, so this morning I whipped the Magic Machine into action:

Do you have one of these? They. Are. Awesome. The Bissell Little Green is a lifesaver, particularly with small children who tend to vomit without regard for upholstered furniture or bedroom carpeting.
That's the latest. I'm not sure what kind of curse we've got going on with our utilities, we've lost power a lot lately and had a water main break that shut down the street for 12 hours last Friday. Plus, the boiler went, a water pressurizer blew up in the basement and the upstairs air conditioning went on the fritz a couple weeks ago.
Please send good utility karma to me this week. I'll need it.
WOOHOO!!! 50 pounds is AWESOME!!! Way to go, Kristin! I'm totally going to get a Bissell Little Green today.
ReplyDelete50 lbs is amazing.
ReplyDeleteWhy does everyone qualify that whole pre-op and post off loss? To me, the journey started the day you started watching what you ate and for all of us, that's the pre-op diet...whether it was 3 days or 2 weeks. The pounds lost (at least for me) during those two weeks were the hardest of my life and they mean no less to me than the ones I've lost post-op. In fact, only 10 lbs of my 23 lost were post-op and I'm almost 6 weeks out. Thank God for those 13 pre-op lbs.
Congrats sweetie.
Thanks Cindy! I don't know about anyone else, but when I was reading blogs pre-surgery I spent a lot of time computing how quickly people lost weight based on their surgery dates and how much they'd lost. Then when my own losses were sooooo slow by comparison I was worried the band wouldn't work for me. So I always include that caveat in case anyone is reading and thinking every loses 10 pounds a month. That isn't how it went for me, but I'm soooo happy to be rid of the 50.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Kristin! I can't wait to be there too!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations pretty lady!!! That's awesome! The part about your lack of power and kids vomit...not so awesome...sending you many good thoughts. Miss you.
ReplyDeleteThis is really last minute, but we're pulling a brunch together tomorrow, just wanted you to know in case you are by chance free...
xoxo
Weehawwww - YIPPEE!! On the weight loss - not so yippee no the puke. I would have been puking right alongside her....you are a rockstar.
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! 50lbs WOOT WOOT! I thought of you yesterday I was having a few olives :)
ReplyDeletethat's great! 50 lbs in 5 months! Amazing no matter how you look at it!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on 50 lbs gone!!! Sending you good utility vibes!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Dance times 50! So happy for you except for the vomit cleaning. Something to make you remember the day you hit 50 pounds lost.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I won't say on here what I originally said when I saw you were 50 down. Needless to say I am super jealous but so so happy for you!!! You are doing an awesome job. I hope your utility issues are over, as I say that the power flickered here due to the storm..argg. Congrats again!
ReplyDeleteFANTASTIC!!!!!!!! SO proud of you!!! Not so jealous of all the utility issues you've been having tho! I need to get teh little green thing - I've heard great things about it.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I do the same thing... I always clarify my weight loss b/c I do count my pre-op and during my pre-op diet, I was a rockstar.. notsomuch after the band was installed though.. i'm the poster child for slow losers... Oh well, in due time for all of us right?? Have a great weekend!! Here's hoping you don't have any more issues!!! congrats again!
That's great! 50lbs..gone forever.. What a great feeling that must be.. 5-0 is a big #..
ReplyDelete:0)
Congrats on 50 lbs gone FOREVER!!! That is a great accomplishment! I remember those vomit days with younger children...you are a trooper!!! By the end of the day/night I always felt like I could throw up with them. The joys of parenting!
ReplyDelete50 pounds is awesome!!! Congratulations :-)
ReplyDeletePS I was cleaning up my son's vomit last night too - lol!!!
Great job on hitting 50 down!! The glamorous job of parenting keeps rolling on... Hope the little one feels better.
ReplyDeleteFantastic job!
ReplyDeleteYAY! 50 is such a milestone...
ReplyDeleteSorry for all the other stuff... Where I live (on a mountain, in the forest) there is only 181 homes on our power grid so we are always last to get power restored. I feel your pain!
Congratulations Kristin! You are a rock star!
ReplyDeleteJust logged on the computer today, and what do I see..Sweet Kristin has hit her 50 lb mark.
ReplyDeleteThat is absoutely fantabulous.. you truly need to treat yourself to something special.. very nice accomplishment
Congrats on 50 down, Kristin! What an accomplishment. Your power outage/sick kiddo dabacle sounds miserable. The kiddo at home is nice enough to throw up in his bed or on the tile bathroom floor (right in FRONT of the toilet). lol. It could be much worse, right.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing great!
Awesome! Congratulations on 50 down! I am very happy for you! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! 50 down is fantastic, great work.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the 50 lbs down! Awesome! <3
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the 50! and more to come for sure!
ReplyDelete