Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pre-Eating Anxiety

What a great weekend! Relaxing, fun, time with old friends and the Hubs... what more could a girl want?

Not a great eating weekend, though. For one thing, I WAS HUNGRY. And for some reason, I really wanted to binge. I was a little sad/stressed on Friday after we checked into the hotel. Alex had a bunch of conference calls, so I went to walk around a mall nearby. I hadn't eaten lunch and when I hit that food court, let me tell you, I WANTED IT ALL. Luckily, my band saved me from doing serious damage, so I had a bowl of soup from Panera. Then I kind of went off the deep end and had one of those "cookie sandwiches" from Mrs. Fields. Ever seen one? Two chocolate chip cookies sandwiched together with an obscene amount of frosting in between. A jillion calories, easily.

The only saving grace here was that on Saturday we went to EPCOT and walked for four hours in 85-degree heat before the wedding. Thank God, I think that helped things because at least I was on the move and hopefully it cut down on the number of calories my body absorbed from that damn cookie sandwich.

Here's what I'm noticing lately: I get a strange anxiety before I eat, because I know I won't be able to eat much. It's kind of a mix of serious irritation and anxiety. I WANT to eat a lot; I know I probably won't be able to. It's frustrating and kind of perplexing. I hope it will dissipate as I get more accustomed to this new life with abbreviated meals.

I'll do a picture post sometime tomorrow with outfits from the wedding. It all worked out well, and I was happy with the clothes. Which doesn't happen very often...

Also:
1. Didn't have any problem eating on the plane. Alas, JetBlue's Doritos Munchy Mix goes down like buttah.
2. Had my first Corona since being banded. No problem at all, didn't feel funny going down or anything.
3. I noticed a real uptick in my confidence, particularly being dressed up. I'll talk more about that in the photo post tomorrow.
4. Scale says I'm up 2 pounds. Maybe some is from flying? I don't think so, though. I ate a lot of crap. Not a good Swimsuit Challenge Week for me.

**UPDATE** Just had the most horrible PB I've ever experienced. I've been eating and eating and EATING today, attributed it mostly to hormones. But my band finally said enough and I threw up. Violently. Three times. Not much of substance came up, and I wasn't nauseated before it happened, so I'm sure it's band-related rather than food poisoning or something.

12 comments:

  1. So glad you had a great time and the wedding came off without a hitch.. Your post had me taking a double take...

    Good Lord.. we are both on food anxiety guilt trips.. I am truly convinced I need a band for my brain.

    Glad you are back Kristin.. have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your trip was fun! Can't wait to see the pics! I know what you are talking about with the anxiety about eating... Sometimes I wish I could just turn off my brain b. I find that my eyes are still so much bigger than my band will allow... Very frustrating! We'll figure it all out someday! Glad u are back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the pictures. Sounds like it was fun. Hopefully the 2 lbs will disappear quickly. I actually wondered about how I'd feel after I get the band knowing that I wouldn't be able to meet as much. I hoped that I'd enjoy food more since I wouldn't be able to eat a lot. I can see how anxiety would play into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about getting sick. It is weird, you do get used to eating less and I think that anxiety subsides. I sometimes get annoyed that I can't eat more -- like when I make a nice dinner and can only manage a couple bites -- but I have made peace with the whole thing.

    I think the thing to do is just try your best to avoid major sugar blasts like the ice cream sandwich, which will send you over the edge. When we eat something like that, it sets off a whole chemical reaction that makes us want to eat and eat! I know, because I've been there!

    When the urge to binge like this comes up, try to find something small (like a small ice cream or small piece of chocolate) and try to enjoy it without doing the whole volume eating thing. This is hard to do. But honestly, in the long run you will be happy you made the choice to take care of your craving, but in a reasonable way that will not send you into an eating frenzy.

    You are learning, it will get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your bad pbing episode! I did that TWO different times on Friday. It is soooo horrible. My doc put me on liquids for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch to the throwing up - I suspect a sore tummy coming on now.. been there, done that. But on the plus side, sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great time and I cannot wait to see the pics! Ouch to the PB episode though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ICK to the PB'ing, but I totally hear you on the anxiety before eating. I am in the EXACT same place. It's frustrating, but I am working through it and hoping it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy you had a good time at the wedding!

    Sorry you had such a violent PB episode. Those are never fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've all been doing the too much food thing. But you did walk off all those calories.

    Looking forward to seeing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh boo to the PB! :( Hope your feeling better now..

    And yet..now I want a Mrs.Feilds cookies..wowza that sounds good right now ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so wanted to binge this weekend too! It didn't matter what it mattered ho much. I wanted to eat a lot of food. I don't know. Hormones?

    ReplyDelete