Greetings from the land of hunger headaches and growling tummies!
I really did resolve not to whine about this surgery, since I'm the one who got myself into this mess. I never thought this would be a piece of cake (ha), but my doctor requires a week of clear liquids after the surgery, which seems like cruel and unusual punishment. According to his schedule, no full liquids for me until Monday, Jan. 11th.
On Tuesday I took in three low-carb Isopure drinks (total 45g protein, 180 calories), some sugar-free Jell-O, about 1/4 c. of broth from miso soup, sips of water and pain medication. I have a horrendous hunger headache that the medicine isn't touching and can't sleep because of it.
Is this normal?
My doctor was easier on the post-op, three days of clear, then 3 days mushies, then he phased in foods. I didn't have any hunger issues until 3 weeks out. I had a great protein mix that tasted like hot chicken broth and I ate that like crazy. Maybe it's not a hunger headache, have you tried tylenol?
ReplyDeleteMy doctor did the same thing, 1 week clear, 2 weeks full and 2 weeks mushies. I will tell you that I graduated to full liquids earlier than he advised. Another really good trick is to put some benefiber in your liquids, it will fill you up. Just make sure you are drinking ALOT of fluids if you do that, narcotics + fiber = constipation. Make sure you are getting at least 60g of protein as well, your body really needs it right now to heal. Hope you feel better today.
ReplyDeleteHomemade chicken soup was great, especially that first week!
ReplyDeleteHang in there-- I agree, maybe the headache is dehydration, not hunger? Or just tension?
ReplyDeleteSorry these instructions are so strict... I agree about benefiber, I put a tablespoon into every shake i make... hope you're feeling a bit better today-- I know I'm feeling better and it is a relief. Not there yet to normal-- but on the way!
Thanks for the great suggestions. I will get some benefiber today. Luckily, I'm not on narcotics so hoping I won't have a problem in that department. And I'll focus on getting A LOT of fluids in today. I do have some homemade chicken stock in the freezer, I'll take it out and have some of that later.
ReplyDeleteMy incisions don't hurt at all, except for the one at my port site, which I understand bothers everyone for a while after the surgery. Just a few tight muscles and the headache. I do feel better today.
Cruel and unusual! I had a protein shake and a yogurt drink the same day after my surgery. I was allowed to go straight to full liquids. If it was me I would start full liquids early - but that is me - I hate arbitrary rules! Obviously full liquids work fine for most people post-band. Then again I had 3 days of clear liquids right before surgery, so I had a few days of torture.
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better!
That's rough - I was allowed yogurts and puddings after the first few days. I'm sure you're starving and dehydrated. Definitely have some chicken broth - it will taste so good.
ReplyDeleteIt gets better!