Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye 2009!

I can't say this has been a terrible year for me, as it was for so many people, because our daughter was born in May and she is a joy to all of us (even her brothers). But my hormones always go nutty after having a baby, so getting myself back on an even keel was key. And making the decision to have this surgery put me into a positive, hopeful state of mind.

So, yesterday was a godawful pre-op diet day. I won't go into the ugly details other than to say I better get my ass in gear for the last few days. It'll be super awkward if my surgeon goes in and my liver stretches to my knees.

I am still struggling with a final goal weight, so I will ask all of you: How did you determine your goal? Did your doctor give you a number, or did you have one in mind?

Have a safe, fun New Year's Eve. I expect I'll be in bed by 10 pm. So ring it in with a little extra enthusiasm for me!

6 comments:

  1. It's funny at first they said well whatever you think should be your goal weight which I thought 160 but now I am thinking 155 and then on my 3 month post op visit the nutrionist said something like oh they have you that 144 would be where we would like you to be. So I have a personal goal and an ultimate goal. One of the main reasons I got the lap band was to have a healthy pregnancy ( I was told I should not get pregant) so I may start trying to get pregnant at 155lbs and then after baby get down to 144. I am short 5'3. I think online you can find ideal weight range for your height and age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard about your liver I almost chocked on my water! Now I'm just going to have to follow you :)

    - Shannon (to be banded sometime this Spring)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon, welcome! Glad you're going to stick around. ;)

    Nicole, I'm 5'3.5 (I hold on to that half inch for dear life), so I guess our goals will be similar. For now I'm shooting for 160; at some point I'll probably have to revise downward. How EXCITING that the LapBand is getting you closer to having a baby. I was 204 when I got pregnant with my first, 225 with my second and 244 with my third. Wouldn't recommend it. You're doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, Kristin

    I just found your blog through Vanessa's page and want to say congrats on your decision!! You are going to love having the band and it's going to do great things for you.

    For me I am aiming to be around 73 kilos (just a smidge over 160 pounds) because I made it an even 40 kilos to lose, though I can always aim lower if I get there and think it's not enough. I think it might be ok. I've had children and my body shape is different so I think this will be a good weight for me at five foot six. Congrats on having your little bub in May :)

    Look forward to more posts.
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin-- yep, we're almost there-- I love to cook too and I actually made leek soup without potatos recently and it was quite good (I used some fat free creamer to bulk it up!)

    Goal weights-- I've got lots of them b/c I have been so many weights in my adult life.
    My ultimate aspiration al weight is a low of 123-- but I think I'd be happy to get down to 155 at first. I would also be good to land permanently at 136-- b/c I am 'thin' at that weight for sure.
    Oy.
    Right now, I just want to get this banding over with... basically HOURS to go now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin,
    I just found your blog today. I see you have a goal already in your ticker, but I wanted to chime in :)

    My doctor set my goal. He showed us studies that show that getting to a 30 BMI (just under obese) removes almost all of the health concerns associated with weight. That still leaves you overweight, but the idea is that once you get to a "healthy" weight you will be able to better determine what your end goal will be.

    I really liked that idea since it supported my over reason for having the surgery (getting healthy), but also it allowed me to time to come up with a final goal. I don't know about you, but I don't remember what a 30 BMI feels like. I think that as I get closer I will be able to judge better what wieght would be best for me.

    ReplyDelete